Thursday, March 29, 2007

Well it's about Time!

Sorry about having no fresh blogs! My sleeplessness reached a level where I couldn't remember anything slightly entertaining that has happened for the past few days....and even if I could remember it I couldn't coherently string it together in a sentence.

So last night I took matters into my own hands.....I spiked my own drink.

We have nothing against alcohol, we (well, the grownups in my home) drink it when we're out. We just don't drink it much at home. The only thing I had available was some Malibu Rum. And the only things we had to mix it with were ice tea, cranberry juice, Kool-Aid, and hot tea. I ruled out the ice tea as gross (Malibu has coconut flavoring, in case you didn't know) and the cranberry juice for the same reason. I can't even drink straight cranberry juice and water that stuff down like you wouldn't believe. The Kool-Aid might have been alright, but I deemed that as pathetic (do adults mix liquor and Kool-Aid?) so all that was left was my usual cup of Chamomile tea. I dumped in a modest amount of Malibu with my cream.

It was pretty nasty. Really nasty to tell you the truth. But I was asleep by midnight and didn't wake until this morning!

I took all my new found and well rested energy outside. Celia and I got most of a 4x20 space in the back yard cleared and ready to plant!

We also met a new neighbor. Not all that new, to my surprise. I had no clue anyone lived in the house across the alley. Lo and behold, there is a little boy Jordan's age. He seems like a really nice little dude, I'm just not sure about the whole thing because honestly....we've never had neighbors with kids before. Most on our block are elderly. Our best friends live a couple blocks away....but it's much easier to find out if you like people and want to be friends with them if you have a little space.

Anyway, little dude spotted us from his window and came over to play. Like I said, he's very nice. Polite, well spoken...no bratty attitude. But he does want to come over. And he does want to play. Can he play on the porch? What about in the house? Can he stay for dinner? I finally tell little dude "maybe after I've met your mom".

Fast forward 10 minutes and I meet mom...complete with purse and car keys. She has to run an errand, can little dude stay and play?

Anyway, I'm sure that once the newness wears off he won't be in our yard every second that we are outside all summer...right?

Geez I'm anti-social! It looks so bad when I type it out. I'd so like to be friendly with our neighbors.....but say "hi" in passing stop by once a week friendly...not in your yard 24/7 friendly. But I don't even know these people (who really seem quite nice!) so why am I even assuming or worried that they will do that anyway?!?!?

It was nice actually. My friend stopped over with her boy and toddler (and mom) to watch the game. The boys went out and played soccer in the yard with new little dude and we sat and talked, watched the girls play. We'd peek out the window at them to make sure everything was fine, and it always was. We got to watch the game (okay, they watched the game....I probably annoyed them with my "Ahhh, I'm in the presence of other women" chatting. Such is the price you pay for trying to watch basketball at my house!).

Okay...I'm just going to say it. It's bad. But it's what I'm thinking...

What kind of mom leaves her 8 year old with a perfect stranger?!?! It's one thing to let him play in a neighbor's yard (that you've never met) and another to LEAVE him with her! I could be a psychopath (please don't point out that I sound like one now) for goodness sake! Are they comfortable leaving their offspring with psychopaths because they are also psychopaths?!?!

I'm also going to point out that the 6-foot privacy fence we put up does crap with they can see in out yard from their second story windows. There's no hiding in your backyard if your neighbors REALLY want to come over and play.

Really though....a kid that sweet and well behaved can't come from psychopaths...can he?

In other news....I have an appointment with a therapist next week. One baby step for me in my "put on the normal face for company" facade.....hopefully one giant leap in the over sanity of my household.

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

You said it, I was thinking it before I got to reading that part. Um, hello new neighbor that I've never met before. Can you watch my son??

I did major research before I even let my daughter go to a birthday party at a friend's house from school, and only after I found 3 people to vouch for them (one being DS teacher from preschool at the church where the ended up being members) did I allow her to go without my staying all evening.

Just validating your feelings.....

Wendy said...

First: My grandmother had a glass of wine everynight before bed. It helped her sleep better. Although, she went to bed at midnight and up at 530am. The woman was a humming bird.

Second: If you dont want that kid over at your house all the time, stop it now. On occasion tell him that he cant play, so he realizes that he just cant come over and expect to play.

And for heaven's sake do the same for the mother. That shocked the hell out of me, that she would just leave him with you and she didnt even know you. That is a red flag. Make it known that you are not free babysitting.I am telling you that I have seen it happen.

I dont have this problem. I dont like the outside and all my neighbors know I am a mean bitch. Especially, after I threatened the pitbull next door. No, I didnt threaten to kill it. I just told them that if I saw it loose again I would call animal control. That thing is nose to nose with my daughter I dont need her face ripped off.

Hope all goes well. Trust me most of us are in therapy, if not just for the hour of me time. :)