Saturday, March 3, 2007

I'm officially a bad mom.....

Yep, it's official now. Ordering the big "I suck" shirt from the printers.

Dinnertime drama with Mr. Picky. We have begged, cajoled, implored....and finally tonight we settled on "You just sit there until you eat that potato" line.

In my defense, my pushover, softie, give the kids their way with almost anything husband was totally in on this parental foul as well. He may have even been the one to utter the line. (Don't quote me on that though!)

In any case.....it was a glorious example of good team parenting gone bad. Over a potato. A very good potato if I do say so myself. One of my much acclaimed twice baked potatoes.

First off, let me say that the boy does like potatoes. He raved over the baked potatoes I made a few weeks ago, which were smothered in cheese and bacon. Then last week we had cheddar bacon twice bakes. He gingerly picked the crunchy top layer off and nibbled it in rice size bites before deciding it was icky. Good ole' Dad loved the potatoes and immediately snatched the potato and made it disappear.

For some reason we were not up for the battle last week as we were tonight.

Tonight we went for cheddar broccoli twice bakes. Lots of cheese, lots of potato, very little broccoli. And he does eat broccoli. It's not on his favorite list of anything, but he will eat it when implored to do so.

So we left him there at the table, picking and poking (but not really consuming) potato. Fast forward 20 minutes and you've got a 9 year old retching over the garbage.

Thankfully, there was no actual puking ....just some gagging, coughing, and the threat of puking. I would have felt really bad if he actually puked....instead of the moderately bad feeling I get from parental enforced gagging. I myself am a veteran gagger, so I know it does no damage. Over a potato. I don't get it.

0 Comments: