Thursday, March 15, 2007

Exhaustion

If you're one of my readers who doesn't like to hear me gripe, stop back in tomorrow. I've got a really nice post for you then. But tonight I'm venting...and it's likely to be long, rambling, and rather whiny.

I'm tired. I'm not dealing well with the whole time change thing. And I'm wondering how single moms and military wives do it. I'm starting to forget what it's like to have Chris here like a normal week! He's doing a much better job of calling us and talking to the kids, but now I suck because when he calls....I have nothing to say. Our latest conversation went something like this:

Me: Hello?

Chris: Hey there!

Me: Hey.

Chris: How's it going.

Me: Okay. Celia threw poop in the family room.

Chris: Really? How did that happen?

Me: Ummm...she just took off her pants and did it.

Chris: Oh. How was MOPS?

Me: Good.

Chris: Oh?

Me: Yeah.

Chris: Well, I have to pee like a mule, so I'm going to run and do that before the next game!

Me: Okay. Bye.

Yeah, he calls, acts very attentive and engaging...and I'm just like "Duhhhh". Also, how exactly does a mule pee?

I started putting mud on the drywall and discovered I suck at it. I haven't even completed the first layer...so hopefully it will get better. I called my father in law to let him know we were going to Charleston, but he's still coming over to work on it. Part of me cringes because he's going to see my amateur job and think less of me....part of me is glad because ...well, he knows what he doing and does it well. Plus, I think I made it pretty clear that I didn't NEED him to come work since he's finished the hard, heavy stuff....but he's still coming. Which makes me think that he does like it...like a hobby. And that's fine...I certainly don't mind him coming over and working in there! I just don't want him to feel like he has to because we're family. But after talking to him, I think he likes it.

So now I'm debating what I can reasonably get done before going to Charleston. I have to pack. That's a no-brainer. Which means I ought to do laundry. I'm really wanting to make some special St. Patrick's Day brownies to take with us since we'll be there all day Saturday. And I'd like to finish the first layer in the bathroom. That's pretty ambitious and not likely to all get done before 3 tomorrow.

The whole trip is a big question mark in my head. I mean, we really aren't going to see Chris. He's going to be working until midnight then out the door by 8 the next morning. So unless I rouse the kids and we all stare at him while he's sleeping (hey, stranger things have happened) we aren't going to see him. I had high hopes of Jordan going to a game or two and hanging with dad courtside....but that's not going to happen. Apparently the whole tournament is packed because of this OJ Mayo punk (don't get me started on him. You want the scoop on Mayo, check this guy out. He knows what he's talking about) and NO ONE but media is allowed courtside.

But....there is an indoor pool. The kids are dying to swim, so that makes the trip worth it. And it will be nice to see something other than the same four walls this weekend.

Then we all get to come home for a few days. But Chris and I don't really interact much. I'm exhausted because...well, frankly....children can suck the life right out of you. They are little joys, but can drain a person. If you're a parent, you know. If you aren't...shut your self in a room with a child for an hour. I guarantee you'll come out tired. Chris will be exhausted because he's been working too many hours and eating crap food for too many days. We'll both have so much that has happened during the week that we won't even know where to start talking, and wouldn't have the energy to do so even if we did.

I just keep telling myself that once he is home, things will be better. But then I just about start hyperventilating when I think about all the things he's got scheduled...St Jude's Radiothon, Follies, WVBA Awards, Trinity's new recording....in addition to his regular work schedule.

Plus the soccer coordinator called and they desperately need a coach this spring. It will be good for me...give me a chance to get some exercise, spend some quality time Jordan. It's just too much to think about right now.

Lastly, MOPS today was very enjoyable. I really like the ladies I'm meeting there. But I have a slight problem with word vomit when I get nervous (that's when you just talk WAY too much, I don't actually get sick on anyone) and I'm afraid I come off as a total egomaniac. The speaker today was funny, and she made a good point: To live in abundance you have to find our purpose in life and live it. Easier said than done! She had us go through this little quiz that was supposed to help lead you toward your purpose....but I had a different answer for every life goal question! I have a different purpose (okay, obsession) every other month! I hope eventually one will be the one God wants me to pursue at which point He better burn a bush or something to clue me in. I'm just floating through life like that crazy plastic bag in American Beauty.

P.S. Where the heck is 30 Rock? Why is NBC messing with the one show I actually enjoy this season?

2 Comments:

Christopher Scott Jones said...

Where we agree: OJ Mayo is no punk. He is actually a pretty nice guy. As far as the weed, it turned out to be someone elses, and the guy ended up taking the heat for it. God knows what my friends have had in their pockets at various times when I happened to be around them. Does that make me a punk? :)

Where we agree: 30 Rock kicks butt. They rested it for a few weeks to give Andy Barker, PI, a shot. It was a pretty funny, actually (shameless plug: I blogged about it just now).

Rebecca said...

Okay, I don't know the kid personally...so I've got nothing to go on other than what my husband and other sports savvy guys tell me. Media consensus seems to be that he has a bad attitude. (Like most of the stars in this year's group) Chris came home from the girl's tournament with horror stories about nasty attitudes from these kids...the coaches just let them act that way. (yeah, I know attitude is the responsibility of the parent, but when they are on the court, coach needs to take charge. whether they are good or not!)

Another interesting idea about Mayo and the stash. He's got talent and is expected to make lots of money playing in the future. If you were his friend...wouldn't you take a little drug rap to stay close to this guy? Just a thought (also not my own...)

Andy Barker was okay...not worth me making time to watch again though. Give me 30 Rock anyday. I was also a little upset about ER not being, but the new show (Baines ?) in it's place was pretty good. I might watch it again....