Friday, March 2, 2007

Well, I'm no Betty Crocker!

That's for sure! I do like to cook, it just some of my stuff doesn't work out so great. Plus, I have a tendency to make the kitchen look like it's been through WW3, which is a real bummer. While I'm the usually "cooker of meals", Chris is the usual "loader of the dishwasher". Not sure he appreciated me getting out an using every funny shaped pan we own and every specialty utensil ever invented.

Now that doesn't mean he cleans the kitchen....that still my job. And I did it yesterday afternoon, along the the rest of the downstairs. It looked great. Like one of those rooms you see in a magazine (albeit a 1960's magazine, since we haven't got around to remodeling the kitchen yet!). Now it looks like a room I've been cooking in.

So I've got to clean it again today. On the bright side, in addition to the nice dinner we had last night, I also made up a big batch of Cheddar Broccoli Twice Baked Potatoes for future use.

We also have a huge pan of Rice Krispy Treats, which I didn't intend to make. Somehow, among all these kids (we had some friends visiting) a nasty rumor got started that I made brownies. Someone thought they smelled brownies and told EVERYONE that I made brownies. So right after I pulled the potatoes out of the oven, 5 little insurgents came thundering down the steps shouting "Brownies".....plus my little one shouting "Bounies!"

I told them sadly, there were no brownies being made. I took them in to the potatoes and showed them the very nice potatoes I had made, and offered the observation that the potatoes were brown........but that was no help. I got 5 carbon copies of the "What kind of mom are you?" stare.

So I found some not-too-dried-out marshmallows and a box of Rice Krispys and threw together the quickest treat I know to so. They are pretty good, if I do say so myself.

This is to make up for the mid-week pepperoni roll fiasco. First, let me apologise that most of you won't know what this delicacy is I'm talking about. It's a local thing, made only in WV. You're really missing out too. Anyway, I've been on a bread making spree and decided nothing could be better than homemade pepperoni rolls. I made some last week with pre-sliced pepperoni....and they were SO good. The kids and I devoured them before Chris got even one, so this week I decided to make them again. Plus since my husband was now home, I decided to go all out, buy huge stick of pepperoni, cut it myself (because everyone knows the best pepperoni rolls are made with sticks of pepperoni, not sliced or the dreaded ground pepperoni). I sliced (and tasted) the pepperoni and though it was fine. Made up my rolls and put them in, they came out looking and smelling heavenly. This was on Tuesday, and were designated for Wednesday dinner (quick before church) but I made extras for snacking.

Jordan quickly discover that most of the pepperoni strips were covered with an unchewable skin.....so you have to pull the pepperoni out, peel it, and stick it back in.

Whoops. My family is being very accommodating to this "Peel and Eat" style meal....though I find little peels of pepperoni skin wherever they decide to snack. Yucko. We're not going to speculate what pepperoni skin is......because I think I know what it is and it's not something you want to think about!

0 Comments: