Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Time Change & Cool Stuff to do with Soap

Not much to talk about today. The government seems to have deviously planned good weather to make me enjoy the time change (against my will). I've got to say that playing in the backyard looks like it's going to be MUCH more fun this year than last. Celia is old enough to grasp consequenses so it's easier to keep her in the yard. I still want to do something about the fence (for safety reasons) so I sat out there thinking about that for awhile.

Last year I had this big plan to revamp the front of the house. Give it a little curb appeal....a little class. That plan bit the big one and by fall, the outside looked even more white-trashy than it did before. So no new plans this year, just try and fix the damage from last year. I was going to start today by chopping out a half cut out/dug up boxwood....but couldn't find an ax. So instead I cleared a massive about of weeds out of a small would-be flower bed in the back.

I also spent a lot of time looking at the playset we have. It's one of those treehouse style ones. The kids love it....but there isn't a swing extension, so I think it's dangerous. But it's a great playset.....and I think we could tweak it to be just what I want. Then I start thinking that the steps would be better on the other side of the porch....and a million other things. Someone please stop me now because these are NOT small projects and they aren't getting done this year!

So, a new addition to my blog. I'm forever reading about our hearing about cool little things, which I never get a chance to share and usually forget before I get a chance to try, so I'm going to start blogging them.

Starting with the wonders of blue Dawn (dish detergent). First off, if you're a bargain shopper, there are usually good coupons and you end up with this stuff for free of close to it. That's always a plus.

It's a given that you can use it for dishwashing and cleaning (removes grease well). But surprise, it has other, secret functions you never knew about.

The other bargain mommies at BBC let me in on the secret that it will clear clogged drains. Our toilet has been messed up for months....poured in half a bottle, let it sit, and it works like new. I don't know what that does to the environment, but it can't be any worse than Draino. Just sayin'.

Blue Dawn is also rumored to make the best home made bubble solution. Last year we got one of those super huge bubble maker things. Turns out that the bubble fluid you get with the cheapo bubble wands won't work for serious bubbles. Here is the recipe I found:

1 bottle blue Dawn (no fancy scented stuff!)
2 TBSP Corn syrup
Enough water to fill the rest of a gallon jug.

Combine all ingredients, let sit at least overnight. Enjoy your big ole bubbles!

0 Comments: