Thursday, March 22, 2007

The Power Team

Last night we got to go see The Power Team. They break things and evangelize all at the same time.

Now, anyone who knows me will tell you I'm not a "Cool, let's see big men break things" kind of girl. I'm much more of a "see a show or o to a concert" kind of girl. But, having a boy child exposes you to things you'd never choose to see for yourself......so we went to see The Power Team.

Since our friends were helping to set up and organize the event, they got there very early and saved us some seats. Front row, center. Close enough for the heat of the fire to singe your eyebrows front row.

Also, anyone who knows me will agree I'm a smirker. I smirk. It's what I do. I glide through life with a smirk and a sarcastic comment. That's just who I am.

So, the team manager comes out and starts hyping up the crowd....and I'm trying really hard not to smirk. Because it's rude. And while this whole "break fiery concrete blocks with my head and tell you about Christ" isn't my kind of thing.....it obviously works. I mean, I have never seen that many people at the church for any other function. So while those people may be there to see some big men break things....they are also going to be inspired by their stories and hear about the Gospel. That I can buy into.

So the manager starts introducing the team, and I'm really good until the second guy comes up. He's got a mohawk. Not the stand up spike kind....the strip of hair in the middle of your head with shaved sides kind of mohawk. The smirk breaks through.

And I'm trying SO hard not to smirk. Because really....I'm sitting about 10 feet from the enormous guys. If they see me smirking at them, they could easily hop off the stage and crush me between to of their weakest fingers. Then they threw some water on the crowd. Me, in the front row.....yeah I got a little wet. How can you not smirk at that? Really, if you're a smirker by nature, it's impossible.

Then they lit some things on fire and broke them....then they blew up some of those impossible to break hot water bottles until the exploded. At which point my toddler decided she had quite enough of those funny men and we escaped to the child care area to color. Whew. My safe zone.

My son got to stay and enjoy the whole show though....and I will say he was quite inspired. He had to buy the bandanna and have all of them sign it. We have to go back to see them break ice Saturday night (they are here all week folks!). He wants to go to the summer camp.

He asked me at breakfast if I was still using the phone book or if he could try to rip in in half with the power of his might.

3 Comments:

jedijawa said...

I've seen those guys when flipping past one of the religious stations and had to watch out of the same compulsion that makes you watch a car accident or a strongman contest on ESNP2. Ever since then I've referred to those guys as the "breakin' stuff for Jesus guys" as the evangelical message just seems really out of place in that setting.

Then again I'm an anti-evangelicist (is that a word) so what do I know? I bet it was an entertaining show though and I'd have to admit that I would probably go to one if I knew it would be in the area. :-)

Rebecca said...

On one hand....it does seems a little odd and certainly different to pair up "feats of amazing strength" with an inspiring word....on the other, well, they seem to go and in hand.

The spectacle of it is certainly a draw. I think it serves a few different audiences. First, kids and teens. They just think breaking thing is cool. And then these guys share their stories. Some of them tell about how they got into trouble as a youth and have turned their lives around. Some of them had perfectly normal childhoods and were surprised that God would want to use them in this unique way.

Also, adults who are drawn in by this kind of thing. While I'm not one of them, lots of people obviously are. They place was packed. Some of these people would never darken the doorstep of a church otherwise, but they are drawn there to see these men.

To me, that's God planting a seed. Opening a door for them. I don't neccesarily think that street evangelism is always the best way to get the Word out...because people aren't going to hear if they aren't ready. If they don't want to. But if they are coming to a church to see a production of any type.....then that's a different story.

jedijawa said...

I hadn't thought about it that way. Interesting. I've certainly gone to church and church events with friends who have neat things to share or when the music is good. I used to freak my college roommate out (JDB) by going to some of the meetings of the WVU chapter of Campus Crusade for Christ because they had good music and one of my running friends at the time was really into them.