Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Diagram of a Marriage

Woohoo! I figured out how to work the scanner. But just to scan things in...not make them readable or anything.

So in our Wednesday night small group study we've been doing a great book "Fit to be Tied. Making Marriage Last a Lifetime". A few weeks ago out take home assignment was to draw a picture of your spouse before marriage, and another of them as they are now. It was a really hard assignment for us....because we haven't really changed that much. It's only been three years.

Obviously, neither one of us has ANY artistic talent. We're musicians, so that's okay.

Here we have Chris's diagram. He just had gotten back into town about 15 minutes before church, so he was a little rushed.


On the before picture he has draw an arrow to my heart and written "Lost and Lonely, waiting for the love of her life". Thanks hon. I wouldn't put it that way......but props to you anyway.

He also remembered that I had long hair when we got married. This isn't hard to remember since I only cut it off a few months ago.

On the after picture we have my new butch haircut and another arrow to my heart saying "No longer lonely".

Here's mine. I had a little more time....but still no artistic talent.


First off, notice on the before picture the proportion of work to home. He worked a lot before we got married. That ratio has started slipping in the past year....but not by his choice. Hopefully things will slack off soon and he won't be so busy all the time!

The thought bubble on the before reads "Sure, I'll produce that game, and fix that problem, and travel". On the after it reads "Let me ask my wife". Like I said, he doesn't commit himself to as many projects....and usually runs the extra stuff by me first.

We've got another arrow pointing to clothes. On the before it reads "Nice clothes and endless dry cleaning budget". On the after "Occasionally wrinkled clothes as wife cut dry cleaning budget and hates to iron". Isn't that a sad fact. He's still a pretty snazzy dresser though.

Another arrow to the show. Before "Nice Shoes". After "Decent shoes. Wife deemed shoe fetish unnecessary". Sorry, but that man just had too many pairs or leather shoes! And I'm scary cheap.

Small arrow to the belly area indicating lack of home cooked food before marriage.

Don't forget to notice the Blackberry in his hand in the after picture. I couldn't figure out how to draw it attached to his head.

Lastly, the arrows to the house. Before "Very messy house. Several rooms entirely closed off to the public and designated as junk rooms". After - "Clean house though frequently cluttery. On occasional cheerio on the floor since the little one came along" This refers to our ongoing discussion over clutter vs dirt. I can't stand dirt. Sticky counters, dusty furniture....and I must be able to vacuum. He hates dishes in the sink and stuff sitting out....but out of sight out of mind in his book, so it's okay to shove stuff places and forget about it. We actually balance each other out pretty well here. I don't let him fill up rooms and closets with useless stuff that belongs in the trash.....and I try to keep stuff picked up so he's not coming home and "angry cleaning".

So you can clearly see that these diagrams, like most of our relationship, are pretty goofy. And we kind of like it that way.

1 Comment:

The Film Geek said...

That was a terrific read! Thanks.