Thursday, February 1, 2007

Evolution and Making Change $$

Well I think we're going to try potty training today. Lately she hasn't been peeing on the floor when she decides to strip.....so we're going to stay home shocked today, tomorrow, and saturday.....and see what happens. I figure if she's not trained enough to wear panties by saturday, then she's not ready yet. So we're just going to get the house nice and clean...maybe start on some Valentine's cookies.

I struck gold at Kroger with my free detergent coupons while Jordan was at his guitar lesson (they are across the street, along with several other stores. We usually run over there because it's easier to strap Celia into a cart and browse for half an hour than chase her around a music store!)I found 4 packages of my free detergent, so we got those. We decided not to go to church as Jordan's teacher called and the boys weren't having class....so no need to rush home. I stopped at the bargain store down the road to look for sheets for sewing. Nothing there, but I did find a really nice wool sweater for $1.50! Plus a bunch of high end scrapbooking stuff and some expensive baby blankets for really cheap, so I'm thinking of buying them and eBaying (I started eBaying again and it's going pretty well) Of course, those would also make pretty baby cakes.....so maybe I'll get a few for that too. Chris came home the other day saying how he thinks I should start making and selling them, so I'm thinking about it again.

We have parent teacher conference, so looking forward to that. He brought home math homework that seemed just ridiculous to me yesterday. It was an exercise in money and making change....but it was things like "Make .49 out of exactly 19 coins." Other than the whole logic/brain teaser aspect (which I know has points on it's own) can anyone help me figure out a life application for that or a connection/prep for higher math?

Plus they started talking about evolution....his teacher said "ask your mom about it because we as Christians don't beleive that". Okay, now I don't beleive every theory out there.....because lots of theories are just that.....theories. But I'm also not going to say all the fossils of dinosaurs, primitive man, and micro-organisms are fake just because they aren't in the Bible. The Bible is the Word of God....written by the hand of man. Can you imagine God trying to explain micro-organisms to Moses or Jacob? It would be like trying to teach your toddler algebra. And for what purpose? They needed to know that God was an all powerful creator....he created the heavens, earth, and everything in it. Not scientific details about things they couldn't possibly comprehend while they were trying to save the Israelites! Just because old testament man couldn't understand it, doesn't mean that God can't create it. Or evolve it. Or do anything he wants with it really......

Sorry, I got off track there. It was just difficult to have a deep theological discussion with a 9 year old while trying to figure out how to make .49 with exactly 19 coins! Not that I'm likely to discuss most of that with his teacher either (seems kind of nit-picky on the math and I'm certainly not going to debate religeon with her...what's the point? We both believe in the same God and salvation through Jesus....the rest is just details.

2 Comments:

brooke said...

A teacher told him that? You know, I think that might have been a touch beyond her duties as an educator. bah! almost a good reason for home schooling.

Rebecca said...

Maybe a touch....but I think it was more of a "ask your mom about this so she knows we're talking about evolution" than a religious lesson. Plus, it was addressed to my kid (and she knows that we are Christian) not to the whole class. I think I'd prefer her being able to make that comment about faith to a child who shares her faith than restricting that kind of communication.