Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Really? This is what you're telling me?

Jordan is home from school and once again we're under a boil and conserve water advisory. Our water is once again disappearing. This is the same issue we had several weeks ago, so the city called in some Canadian experts who solved all our water woes and we were told to drink it up. Now, last week I thought it looked nasty and called the city about it....I was fed some story about a perfectly safe treatment method they were using. I'm not buying it.

I'm no conspiracy theorist. I have no problem believing that Elvis is dead, JFK was indeed shot by Lee Harvey Oswald and I generally don't believe the whole world is deviously plotting against me. But something is up with our water and I don't like it. Maybe I've watched too many movies where the water is bad, kids get sick, and it's covered up. Where is Julia Roberts and her fabulous cleavage when I need MY water department to give me some answers?

I'm starting to really get worried about the school situation now. I'm not sure on the exact count, but I think we're well past 10 days this year. On of the few days he has had school this month, he brought home a progress report. High A's in everything except math. Well, we knew the math would be low, because they started something new. Then we worked on it here at home, he's got it now. Except....they haven't had any math grades since almost the beginning of February, so he doesn't have a chance to prove he knows it and bring that grade up! I know him understanding the concept is really the important thing, but I would really like the grade on his report card to reflect his understanding and hard work. And again, I wish the water dept would be more forthcoming with information. If we knew these kids were going to be off for an extended period of time, I bet most of the teachers would be willing to send out correspondence work (maybe not for a grade....fair and equal education for all, even if your parents don't give a crap and won't work with you at home!) but for extra credit or enrichment or SOMETHING.

Celia has a cold or allergy thing going on. I've always hated it when my toddlers get sick. When Jordan was little, it was because you couldn't get him to take any meds, no matter how high his fever was or how miserable he felt. I tried everything....sneaking it in juice, reasoning with him, replacing Sweet Tarts with Soft Chews, forcing it down. It all resulted in the same....puking it back up. But since he learned to swallow pills (and medicine makers started producing "Junior" versions of things he needed in the correct dosage) we've had no problem. Plus, he's old enough to tell me if his head hurts or his throat hurts.....which makes treating symptoms much easier.

Now Celia will gladly take any medicine you wave her way, but none of it does much good for her. She has something called RAD (Reactive Airway Disease). Basically, anytime she gets the slightest cold or starts having some allergy issues, she gets asthma symptoms. Last year we took her to an allergist, found she was allergic to dust mites (among other things). We started her on allergy meds, ripped up a bunch of carpet. Plus this year I'm staying home with her, so she's not catching a bunch of germs every day at daycare. So it's much better. But that asthma cough is heartbreaking to listen to at night. I don't know how parents of kids with serious asthma do it. So right now we back to albuterol treatments and coughing at night.

I'll leave you with my funny story from yesterday. I've had this funny rib pain the past week or so. Not awful, but enough to say "Huh....wonder that that is?" Not that I went to the doctor or anything, but I did a little internet research and discovered that sometimes, for no good reason at all, the cartilage and stuff between your ribs gets irritated. Bummer. Well, yesterday I decided a nice hot shower was what I needed. Got the kids all set up to play in the family room, shut the door, and turned the water on. I got in, and it was WAY too hot. Instead of getting out and adjusting the water like a normal person would, I decided just to arch my body around the stream of scalding water to turn the cold up. Bad idea. (Though, I have done this before and never had a problem) I overbalanced.....got tangled in the shower curtain and spent what seemed like a very long time all wrapped up, one leg in the shower, pinwheeling my arms over the open space called "the rest of the bathroom" thinking "Don't fall! Oh, this is bad don't fall! You're naked, and wet, and you're going to hit your head on the heater and bleed to death! Your kids are going to find you and have to call 911 and be traumatized for life! Don't fall!" Then I shook my leg free and in some contortionist move managed to regain my balance......right into the path of the scalding water. Whew! Thank goodness that curtain bar is a serious one anchored to the wall....not that sproingy suspension kind. I would have been a goner! It probably felt a lot more dramatic than it looked....but Chris still said he wishes he had a video.

Learn from my mistakes....use the buddy system in the shower!

0 Comments: