Sunday, February 18, 2007

My weekly church blog.

It's Sunday again, time for me to review in my mind our new church happenings for the week.

We really wanted to check out a new church this week, but didn't want to miss one of the series at Chestnut Ridge. I should have been doing this all along, but I encourage you to check out the MP3's they have online of the sermons in this series "Seven". Pride and Sloth are currently available, this week's will be up soon (I'm sure, not like I have any control over that. They are pretty on top of things though!)

This week Pastor Tim Haring spoke about the sins of excess: Lust, Greed, Gluttony. I don't know whether it was because we had Celia in service with us (she's a little distracting, but was overall pretty well behaved. She did take a big poo in the middle of the sermon...could have done without that!) or because I don't feel like I'm in too much danger of these particular sins (like I struggle with Pride and Sloth). I'm pretty much the picture of anti-lust.....enough said there! (I know, lust can be used as a non-sexual thing. And while I did really want those Cloggens someone introduced me to the other day, I wouldn't say I "lusted" after them). I don't *think* I'm greedy. I am the ultimate bargain shopper (sometimes to a fault) but don't it it just to get more stuff (in my defense, I do donate lots of that stuff, and enjoy doing it! It makes me feel really good to be able to just give someone in need, friend or stranger, a bunch of things to help them out). As for Gluttony.....I have been known to put away a few to many cookies or chocolate or bread from time to time.....but I don't really think it's to excess. It was still a great service overall....though I didn't "get" the poetry for this week like I have for the other two.

This morning (Sunday) we got up and went to Trinity Assembly of God. Pastor Adam (minister of music) and I have the same taste in music. Almost every song they did was something Chris and I either did or had planned to do with our old church. They do have a large group doing praise and worship, but both Chris and I can see a place for us among them if we are led to stay there (I'm not sure I can say the same for Chestnut Ridge myself....Chris certainly can!). We also chose a bad week to go (in terms of evaluating a church) since they had a guest speaker. He was okay....said a few things I'm not sure about but his overall message was very pointed and pertinent to me (us): God just tells you to go.....but not always where you're going. You just have to trust Him and go......you'll know it when you get there.

That being said, I'm starting to doubt that the pentecostal church is something I'll ever be comfortable with. Nothing wrong with it, just different strokes for different folks. It was nice to be so warmly embraced by the leadership of the church (although one new guest greeter was squeezing a little too tight! She kept introducing us to every one saying "This is Chris, he's been here before...he worked on the cd. This is Rebecca, this is her FIRST TIME. She's NEW. after about the sixth introduction of this type I felt like I was wearing a blinking sign on my head flashing "Newbie" or maybe even "Heathen". She had good intentions, but the introspective cynic in me was overwhelmed) Anyway, we were warmly welcomed and I hope in any case we get to spend some more time with Pastor Adam and his family. They are so fun to be with, have a little girl Celia's age and another baby on the way. (We got to spend a good bit of time with them in Chicago last summer)

Both kids enjoyed their rooms. Celia found a slide in the toddler room the minute we walked in the door and never looked back. She went full steam ahead with a room of rough and tumble boys the whole time. Jordan really enjoyed children's church. (He said even more than Chestnut Ridge, which is quite something because that's ALL he's talked about these past few weeks). They've really done a good job with the room and the kid's service. His favorite "character" was Napoleon Explosion (ahh....Dynamite?).

Looking forward to going back and hearing the head pastor speak on another week!

0 Comments: