Sunday, April 29, 2007

Home again, home again.

Just got back from our weekend on the go.

Glade Springs Resort is a very nice place. Very posh. It would be a great vacation for someone with older kids (oh, and piles of $$, it's very spendy. Lucky for us most of the trip was covered). The have great trails for golf carts, bikes, rollerblades. They have a bowling alley, an awesome swimming pool. Basketball and tennis courts (both inside and out). There are several really neat scavenger hunts to go on. Several ponds for fishing, canoeing, or paddle boating.....and a stable.

Not the easiest place to corral a toddler for an entire day while daddy works. The staff was nice enough to let us have our room until 4 (unheard of!) so we could take several breaks in there during the day.

First thing this morning we hit the pool. I thought it was a great pool...my kids were somehow not overly impressed. I think Jordan was bummed that there were no other kids there (yeah, at 9 in the morning!). He wanted to sit in the hot tub, but I didn't want Celia in there (plus, well, he didn't need to be in there either). I'm not sure what her problem was....she's usually a little water dog, but we stayed only about an hour.

I think a good part of is was that she was really restless last night and woke up screaming at 3 with leg cramps. Thank goodness we had an end room and one of Chris's (very understanding) co-workers on the other side.

So on to the playground. One of the sheets the front desk gave me listed a toddler playground, but it wasn't on the map anywhere. Just the "Children's Playground". Jordan made himself right at home. Celia took of her sock and shoes, then peed. Pants honey! We take off our PANTS when we pee!

The emergency clothes were in MY car...we brought Chris's. I did have emergency panties in my purse so my toddler spent 20 minutes jumping around the playground in a sweater and Dora panties. Nice.

Then we went back to the room for a snack so Jordan and I marched the half naked marauder right through the resort lobby and up to the room for fresh pants. He provided great cover by running in ahead of us shouting "Nobody look at my sister. Do NOT look at her. She's not wearing pants. Look away, look away". Then he ran screaming for the elevator.

Way to keep things low key, son.

After a costume change we went off and had a great lunch at the Small Talk Cafe. They also had a whole case of yummy looking goodies that I planned to come back for later.

Then we went to the stables. We had no intentions of riding, just wanted to pet some horses. Again, the staff was super nice and told us that we could wander the barn and pat all we wanted, as long as we stayed out of Strawberry's stall. Strawberry had a little fight with the door earlier in the week and was dejectedly wearing a halter and lead while the door hung crooked. We avoided poor Strawberry but did get to give some hay to some other really nice horses. They had great variety, little ponies, super huge horses. All were very eager to munch some hay with their great big smacking horse lips.

Jordan now wants us to move onto a farm....Celia was equal parts terrified and thrilled.

Then I set the kids loose for an hour or roaming around the resort property, tried my best to keep them out of the line of fire from any golf balls. We found some "porcipines" (pinecones) rolled in the volleyball sand.

Cleaned everyone up and found dad, running late as usually. I politely informed him that the kids and I were leaving at 4:30 and recommended he wrap things up since it's a long walk home from Beckley.

Prompty at 4:30 everyone was buckled in and by 4:35 kids were snoozing while I chowed down on a very yummy brownie pecan pie concoction. It tasted just as good as it looked.

I'm exhausted from kid chasing, but other than Celia's two screaming episodes (she had another from Clarksburg to Fairmont. It was either "You made me wear a diaper in the car and I peed and now my butt is wet and I'm mad" or "the sun is shining in my face at a really bad angle so I want to kill you all") it was a decent trip. For the kids.

0 Comments: