Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The Best Way to Cook Bacon

After much research, I have discovered the very best way to cook bacon. Quick, easy, almost no clean up. And I'm going to share it with you. But first, will you look at these peas?



Something I planted from a seed is actually growing. Every year I plant a whole bunch of seeds. About half of the sprout, then get knocked over by a cat or die for some strange reason. You know, like I forget to water them for a week or water them so much that the only thing that can grow in that boggy mess is a crop of mold?

Anyway, my peas are growing really fast and my pumpkins are sprouting up nice too. I'm going to be brave and put the peas out in the ground this weekend.

Okay, moving on to bacon. The best way to cook bacon is in the oven! No greasy splatters all over your stove top, no bacon smell in the microwave. Plus it's pretty fast!

Start by preheating your oven to 425. Get a baking sheet with a nice rim, cover it in foil. Place you bacon on the sheet, be careful not to overlap.

Stick pan in the over for 10-14 minutes (depending on how crispy you like your bacon). Keep an eye on it. You should rotate the pan halfway through so that it cooks evenly. Remove the bacon from the pan and place it on a plate with paper towel (or McDonalds napkins, if you have run out of paper towels again but happen to have a pile of napkins left over from when you friend brought you ice cream in an effort to stave off complete emotional breakdown last night).

If you let the pan cool the grease will solidify, so you can just remove the foil sheet, grease and all, throw the whole mess away.

The recipe I found (which I'm not linking because it had several inconsistencies) says you can place several trays in the oven at the same time. Don't try this. I found it burned one pan to a smokey crisp and left the other way undercooked, even if you switch them around in the middle. The result is you ruin half a perfectly good pound of bacon and don't have enough for what you planned to do with it, so you have to just sit down and eat the rest of it all by yourself.

So stick with one pan at a time. Soon I'll share with you my super yummy crouton recipe and then you can make yourself a nice salad.

3 Comments:

Wendy said...

What?! You make us wait for picture of your peas. I am jealous, by the way, I would love to have a nice veggie garden, but dont want to do the work. Hey, maybe I will hire me a young, very built gardener a la Desparate Housewives and have him tend to my garden. Wait, what were we talking about...

Oh, you tell us how to make perfect bacon and now I have to wait for the croutons. You are cruel, cruel woman.

Loving your blog.

Christopher Scott Jones said...

Careful with the throwin' away bacon business. You might lose you WV privliges. Everyone knows that bacon grease goes in a old coffee mug ("Knoxville World's Fair 1972") on the back of your stove.

Rebecca said...

Well now, until about a month ago, that was my method for dealing with bacon grease.

Then I found my toddler scooping fingerfuls of it out of the mug and snacking on it.

To end this revolting practice, I've been throwing away all (cooled) bacon grease!