Sunday, June 10, 2007

What kind of death wish do you have?

Dear neighbors across the street,

I have put up with a lot. I really have. The late night arguments in the yard (I only called the cops that one time because I thought you'd hurt yourselves driving off all angry and crying like that), the beer cans and cigarettes you leave littering my yard, the standing on the street and cursing during the day (when my innocent little kids can hear your dirty mouths). I try and pay it no mind, because I know that you are teenagers. You are living in a world that you think no one else sees and you can't fathom anyone else having a life. One day you'll realize how silly you've acted and regret it. So I just let it slide.

Especially for the boys over there...I know you can be polite and thoughtful, because sometimes you are.

Granted, I have no love for the foul-mouthed little girlfriend. End it already buddy, she's not worth it.

I often wonder about the mom, and why she lets her kids act that way...but I don't judge because I just don't know what's going on over there.

But today, as we pulled up to the house at nap time with our sleeping toddler in the car, and you decided to set off a string of fireworks, you almost died.

Seriously. You just don't mess with nap time. No matter how young and carefree you are. You don't wake a sleeping baby. It's like the 14th commandment or something.

Chris immediately reminded me how no matter how hard it is, you are supposed to love THE OTHERS (a take of from Chestnut Ridge's current sermon series about how other people ...ie, not yourself, can be so darned hard to love sometimes).

I really think the whole "love thy neighbor as thyself" scripture should exempt noisy, inconsiderate teenagers...but since it's in the Bible and all....

So alright. I will not kill you. But the next time you set off fireworks in the street while I'm trying to get my sleeping baby out of the car and into the house, I will (in Christian love) give you a very stern (in your face) talking to.

Be warned.

4 Comments:

Paul said...

I feel your pain. I never noticed how noisy our neighborhood could get until our daughter was born. I really hope a local store has a big sale on mufflers soon.

Christopher Scott Jones said...

The last group of kids to rent the house next door were all wannabe frat bois who loved to play beer pong and scream about it like they just won the Super Bowl. It was likely due to the fact that, despite not being freakishly ugly or anything, they had an almost superhuman inability to get laid and their brains were likely too full of unspent testosterone for their own good.

The latest group are all girls and, despite them always hogging the shared driveway, they are much more quiet.

liz said...

Are you talking about that cute little stone house across the street? If so, that girl is not a teenager. She's AT LEAST 23, making her behavior even more ridiculous. Unless she has a little sister that I don't know about.
Nice blog, by the way. Keeps me occupied at work.

Rebecca said...

Yeah, that's the house....but I'm not sure it's the girl that lives there. I think it's a girlfriend of on of the boys that lives there (does she have a younger brother?). The only reason I think this is because when they have their middle of the night domestic disputes, the girl drives off angry and screaming but the boys stays. Who knows though....