Sunday, June 17, 2007

Trying New Things.

We've tried a few new foods in the past week, all have been pretty tasty.

Last weekend we had turkey burgers for the first time. This came about (like all other new foods we usually try) because I found a really good deal on ground turkey. Anyway, I did extensive internet research and came up with a good recipe:

1 lb ground turkey
Some shredded cheddar cheese (sorry, I'm bad with measurements, I just dumped some in)
Steak Sauce (again, umm, just dump some in there)

Since turkey is very lean, it tends to stick to the grill (and fall apart everywhere else). To guard against that, I coated the grill in nonstick spray (before you light it please!) and brushed the burgers themselves with olive oil. To make sure that they don't fall apart, put them on the grill and leave them there. Don't move them all around. You set them down, cook on one side for 4-5 minutes, then carefully flip and leave them another 4 minutes or so. None of this constant flip flopping stuff.


We also tried turkey sausage, which was also good (but hey, it's sausage....with all those seasonings, it's kind of hard for it to go wrong!)


Then this morning I was dying to try some elephant ears (or fried dough, or beaver tails, if you're from Canada). Now you can get all fancy and make your own dough, but I don't have time for those kind of shenanigans on a sunday morning. A can or premade biscuits would work just fine. We didn't have that, so I used Bisquick.

It's real easy, roll (or stretch) whatever dough you have out until it's more thin than you would think it should be. Then fry in oil until golden brown (it doesn't take long). Let cool (I like to do this on a paper bag, it gets some of the oil out) slightly and then dredge in powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar. I found it easer to put the sugar in a paper lunch bag, drop the dough in and shake.

Big surprise, something fried in oil and covered in sugar is REALLY good. I know that's a shocker. Just don't eat them more than once a month or your arteries will completely clog one day while you're walking around.


Lastly, and this one is s surprise, BocaBurgers. That's right. Meatless hamburgers. Soy Burgers. I will try anything if it's free (and they almost were) so we tried them. Shockingly edible. I thought they'd be really gross, but they taste just about like any fast food burger. I wouldn't fix them for company or anything, but my family liked them okay.

There you go, all my culinary adventures for the week!

2 Comments:

mrs. b said...

Mmmmm, fried dough. You should have made some chocolate frosting. WAIT. I have a can in my pantry I'll send over. Never thought Bisquick would work. I've always wanted to try ground turkey. Thanks for sharing your conquests. I'll be doing home-made babyfood this week.
heather

Anonymous said...

Been crazy busy but I've been trying to catch up on your life today and wanted to congratulate you on stepping out into unknown turkey and soy land. I started eating Boca Burgers when I started Weight Watchers and I like them as long as I cook them on the stove. I snuck one to Katie the other day, and she said it was her favorite burger ever. YAY!!!

Turkey burgers are also good with some green onions and a bit of soy sauce. Oooh, I want one NOW!! lol