Thursday, May 10, 2007

Sausage Roll

Over on the WV Bloggers board we've been having a discussion on what it THE WV food. Since the board is overpopulated by southerners.....they are saying bean and cornbread. (Ewww)

Sorry guys, no matter what the polls say, it's Pepperoni Rolls. Invented in WV still can't get them anywhere else. I'm not giving out a recipe, because it's pretty simple. Take some pepperoni, roll it in bread dough, bake. Your product will only be as good as the ingredients you put in it.

Today, we're talking about Sausage Roll. My family loves this stuff. It's an idea I got from my mom, but have adapted a little to make it easier.

You will need:

Some breakfast sausage (browned and crumbled). I don't know how much. Whatever comes in a normal size tub.

A can of French Bread Dough

6 slices cheese (We like Velveeta, but also do cheddar. Any cheese will do though).

Okay, so you've crumbled and browned the breakfast sausage. Drain it well.

Open the can of dough. Unroll it (just look for the seam, it's rolled up jelly roll style). Lay flat. Cover with cheese, leaving about an inch at the end clean for sealing.

Put the sausage on top of the cheese. Try to make it a pretty even layer. Again, leave that inch at the end.

Get that inch at the end slightly wet, roll the whole thing back up and pinch closed. Back seam side down according to the french bread dough directions.

Let cool slightly.

If we're having this as a main course for a meal (it's great for breakfast with eggs, or dinner with macaroni) then I slice it about 1 inch thick. If we're having it as a snack or I'm putting it out as a party appetizer, I slice it more thin.

Hmmm, I'll have to add some pictures to this post so you can see just how yummy this thing looks. I guess that means we'll be having sausage roll for dinner soon!

3 Comments:

Paul said...

I never considered pep rolls to be a WV food. I don't know why. I love them though. Mrs. Red makes them every year for the Super Bowl.

larryosaurus said...

Those do sound tasty....but I'm still pulling for beans and cornbread! :D

Christopher Scott Jones said...

When I was in Amsterdam, I went into a bakery and ordered a Dutch-style sausage roll that I believe was called a broodje (I could be mistaken, though). After eating one, I found them so tasty that I went back for about 7 more.

As to why I had such an appetite, I plead the 5th :)