Friday, May 18, 2007

I Turn Blue....

...when I'm cold and wet, just like a little kid in the pool. Not all of me. I'm not a smurf for crying out loud! Just my lips...and hands....and feet. It's kind of freakish, and apparently it really bothers some people.

Yesterday we had a soccer game. I was going to do pictures beforehand, but the weather was on and off rain, so I cancelled those.

Then we had the big weather debate before walking out the door. Should Chris and Celia come to the game, or stay home. (We try to all be at events, but no reason for everyone to get wet!). The radar looked okay, like the worst of the rain had passed, so we loaded everyone in the car.

We got to the field and started loading the stroller up for the trek to the field and Chris asked where the umbrella was.

Umbrella? I didn't pack an umbrella! I got both kids in the car, each with all their gear! Jordan had all his soccer stuff, Celia had a sippy, stroller, snack, and change of clothes. I had all my coaching stuff....clipboard, treats for the boys, goalie gloves and shirts. An umbrella was asking a bit much.

Well, we got to the field, I warmed the boys up. We had a full team, so that was great. The other team got there (it was an out of county match, which always makes me nervous...I know all the coaches in our county. They are nice guys and teach good soccer) and they also had read shirts....so my boys got to wear yellow vest.

The other coach was a BIG burly man. His first words to me (and the reason I blame him completely for getting go wet) were, "Did you play last night? Boy, it just poured down the rain. 'Course, my boys could swim and play soccer, so it don't matter much. Hey, you like my #2? He scored me 20 goals last night. Over 60 this season".

Dude. Why are you telling me this? I really don't care. I'm trying to coach soccer over here. I have about 3 boys who don't "get" the game yet...and need pretty much constant coaching (not how I like to do things. I prefer to teach in practice and let them play....for the most part....at the games) whether they are in the game or on the bench.

Shortly after that brief exchange. It started raining. Not bad at first. Meanwhile, #2 was whomping my boys. Score at halftime was 5-1. Not good.

Celia and Chris spent most of the game under a huge golf umbrella with another team dad (and thankfully, one of our best friends). Celia was in her massive jogger stroller, the other dad in his chair, and Chris couched facing him....watching the game over his shoulder. It looked questionable, to say the least. At one point (Chris told me) some people were admiring Celia and he gazed up at the other dad and said, "Given the circumstances, they probably think she's OURS"

About two minutes before halftime the unpleasant drizzle turned into an absolute downpour. At one point, I was afraid my contacts were going to wash out of my eyes. We cut halftime short to get back to the game and get it over with....then had to pause everything and retreat to the concession stand because of lightening.

The ref (who was great!), burly coach and I all had a pow-wow on if we wanted to wait the required 30 minutes after lightening to resume the game, or call it and go home. I left it up to Burly Coach....because they drove 30 minutes to get to this game, and they'd have to drive (through weather) home. Okay....maybe that wasn't the real reason. I wasn't caving to any Burly Man. I'd be happy if he wanted to call the game, but no way was I going to say....eh, I'm cold and wet, let's all go home.

Plus, I looked around at the boys and they were having a ball running around in the mud. I wanted to give them a shot at actually playing the game.

After 30 minutes of waiting....everyone had hot chocolate (thanks to a very nice team dad...since the coach didn't even bring her purse or anything to the field...), I only had to clear the boy's restroom once (there was a hot air hand warmer in there and there was about to be a fistfight over it) we got back to the game.

I gave the boys a talk about #2....put on the pressure, don't wait on him....and contain (that was the word of the week at training). I'm really proud of them (especially my kid!) because they did a great job. They only let him get 1 more goal....then Jordan scored a goal.

But about the turning blue....yeah. I guess the ref was quite worried about it. He came up to me several times with a "You need to go in and get warm, coach" suggestion.

And boy I did. Just as soon as we got home, I decided that new bathroom fan really needed to be tested to see if it cleared steam from the bathroom. I took the longest, hottest shower EVER. And that fan works just fine!

0 Comments: